Major Code: 3714
If you are planning a career as a computer professional, opportunities are endless! Almost every company, no matter how big or small, employs computer specialists and most of these companies are always looking for qualified people. The number of programmers, system analysts & hardware, software, networking & security specialists needed to fill available positions will continue to grow. In addition to computer specialists, trained personnel are needed in all fields. Whether one is seeking employment as a teacher, accountant, writer, fashion designer, lawyer or a number of other jobs, one question is frequently asked: What do you know about computers? Interacting with a computer is part of the daily routine for millions of white-and blue-collar workers. No matter the career choice, in all likelihood one will be a frequent user of computers.
The Web Design Concentration prepares students for employment in all areas of web design. Individuals can work for a company or independently as an entrepreneur. Students get hands-on experience using the latest in web design software, database software and networking technologies.
Program Goals and Objectives
Upon completion of the program, the student will:
- Have fundamental knowledge of the information technology field.
- Have an understanding of computer program design and development using one or more programming languages.
- Have skills in developing and implementing relational databases.
- Understand basic networking technologies.
- Have skills in graphic design.
- Have skills in project management.
- Have skills in designing and developing database-driven Web sites with graphical and multimedia content.
Program outcomes are assessed by a variety of means, including quizzes, unit tests, oral presentations, written reports, and final examinations. The student will also be required to submit a portfolio to fulfill general education requirements. A final project will be used to assess the students’ ability to perform in the workplace after graduation.