Major Code: 3509
The Finance program prepares students for entry-level positions in the field of corporate money management as well as enhancing the skills of individuals currently employed in corporate finance, banking, lending, and investment. The program provides specialized knowledge in the various financial markets, financial decision making, and financial operations as they are practiced in American business.
Program Goals and Objectives
Upon completion of the program the graduate will:
- Demonstrate an understanding and proficiency with accounting/law terminology, Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, financial statement preparation, maintaining financial data, and the accounting cycle.
- Prepare and analyze financial statements in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Apply the concepts of time value of money.
- Apply principles of budgeting.
- Demonstrate the ability to perform financial analysis.
- Understand and demonstrate an understanding of the importance of personal and corporate financial management.
- Possess the necessary knowledge and skills to move into a baccalaureate degree program.
Program outcomes are assessed by the courses, exit interviews, employer surveys, and program specific exit exams, which may include ETS Associate Business Exam. General education outcomes are assessed by a general education portfolio.
Transfer Baccalaureate Options
- Marshall University
- West Virginia State University
- University of Charleston
- West Virginia University Institute of Technology
The Finance program prepares graduates for employment as:
- Loan Officer
- Branch Manager
- Portfolio Manager
- Commercial Banker
- Business Banking
- Personal Banker
- New Accounts
- Loan Processor
- Customer Service
- Teller Coordinator
- Finance Clerk
If Students go on to further their education:
*Financial Analysts, Financial Managers, and Financial Advisors
- Financial Analyst
- Risk Analyst
- Equity Research
- Financial Advisor
- Portfolio Advisor
- Finance Supervisor
- Branch Manager
- Securities Analyst
- Finance Manager
- Investment Analyst
- FBI Investigator
- Budget Analyst
- Financial Examiners
- Purchasing Officer