Major Code: 3321
This two-year program is designed for the individual who is interested in the following administrative and clinical duties:
- Receiving patients and their family members and managing public relations
- Acting as an informational and educational resource for the patient
- Handling telephone, written communications, and appointment scheduling
- Managing patient records
- Bookkeeping and insurance processing
- Management and maintenance of the office and treatment areas
- Preparing the patient for treatment
- Preparing and sterilizing instruments and obtaining specimens for diagnostic evaluation
- Performing EKGs and administering medications under the direction of the physician
The program includes an internship at an area health care setting and provides the foundation needed for certification examinations.
Program Goals and Objectives
Upon completion of the program, graduates will:
- Demonstrate effective workplace communications;
- Identify and maintain legal standards appropriate for the field
- Function as a health care advocate and patient educator as appropriate
- Perform appropriate operational functions of medical assisting
- Perform clinical skills and follow diagnostic procedures effectively
- Perform appropriate administrative and finance tasks effectively
- Possess the knowledge and skill to pass programmatic exit assessments and in-field nationally normed professional certifications
Course outcomes are assessed by exit exams in each course. Program outcomes are assessed in the Medical Assisting Capstone Course. Learner outcomes are assessed by the national certification examination for medical assisting. General education outcomes are assessed by general education portfolios.
Transfer Baccalaureate Options
- Health Services Administration at WVU Tech
- Business Management at WVU Tech
- BA Pathway at WVU
Students in this program will be required to submit background checks, drug screenings, and show record of specific vaccinations prior to participating in clinic requirements.
This program is designed for the individual who desires to provide allied health services in ambulatory out-patient facilities, including medical offices, clinics and hospitals. This program is designed to prepare competent individuals to participate in Diagnostic, Clinical and Administrative functions.
Career and Salary Information: