Major Code: 3519
This program emphasizes how to improve your role in the hospitality industry by developing strategies that can be applied in the workplace using hands on experiences. The program covers a wide range of content, from food service and event planning to hotel practices and tourism. Knowing how to handle multiple facets of the hospitality industry will benefit you by pushing you to your fullest potential, and by positioning you for greater career opportunities.
Program Goals & Objectives
- Demonstrate proper customer service while on site at hospitality establishments and through classroom activities, such as journal entries and class discussions
- Identify & create types of events, venues, caterers, and staffing responsibilities in the hospitality industry.
- Demonstrate how to properly set and design buffet line/s according to menu and event style.
- Calculate the correct amount of food and beverages needed for various events, including bar service.
- Assemble catering contracts and banquet event orders, & examine and implement food licensure and permits set forth by health department regulations
- Demonstrate proper front office operations during the four stages of a guest cycle and list the steps of the registration process, check-out, and account settlement.
- During Internship, demonstrate the range of skills and abilities acquired throughout the associate degree program
Course outcomes are assessed by exit exams in each course. Program outcomes are assessed in the Hospitality Capstone Class HOSP 266: Internship. Learner outcomes are assessed by the national certification examination for hospitality. General education outcomes are assessed by general education portfolios.
Transfer Baccalaureate Options
- Hospitality Management at West Virginia University
- Hospitality Management at Davis & Elkins College
- Hospitality Management at American Public University
Students in this program will be subjected to drug testing. Students will also be required to wear uniforms.
- Event Planner/Coordinator
- Sales Manager (Catering, Sports Complex, CVB)
- Hotels: Front Desk, Management, Banquets, Housekeeping
- Resorts & Casinos
- Business Owner-Housekeeping, Event Planning, Bed and Breakfast
Food Service Manager
Maids & Housekeeping